Sunday, March 2, 2008

Raised Vegetable Beds

Here is what we are doing.

Building at least 2 beds, 3ft. by 6ft and 12 inches deep. We are using 2X6 boards for the sides and 4X4's for the corner posts. It will be lined with chicken wire because we have moles in our yard and I don't want them to get in the garden. I have not decided yet what I'm going to fill it with but I'm leaning toward a promix blend from Yard Dogs garden center that is near us (I just have to find a pickup truck to get the dirt home, delivery fee is $25 and the dirt will cost $26.) I got a book about companion planting called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" by Louise Riotte. We are planting broccoli, oregano, tomatoes, basil, potatoes, onions, and radishes in one bed. In the other bed we are planting Marigolds, pole beans, carrots, lettuce, parsley, cucumber and radishes. We'll see how it goes. We have not seriously gardened in about 10 years. I thought this would be a good start for us. We have really bad soil here so the raised beds are good for us. Also, we will know what type of soil we are putting in the beds and that should cut down on weeds. When we get the beds built I'll send some pictures. I bought the wood we just have not built the beds yet. I bought the seeds at Lowe's while I was there getting the wood. But someone told me Dollar Tree has seeds that do just fine. I also got free carrot seeds online from the "Plant a Row for the Hungry" program. http://www.humeseeds.com/free1.htm


No comments: